Yet another successful meeting happened this past Thursday with a host of presenters at the ready. Denis was first on the floor and made a presentation on a structured exception handling(SEH) based buffer overflow exploit. He was running Backtrack 4 on his machine as well as Windows XP via virtual box. Using the program Metersploit which comes pre-installed in Backtrack, he able to gain access to the XP system and manipulate quite a few features and programs based on vulnerabilities attacked. Full details on this can be found here.
The next presentation was by George on the .NET Framework, and yes you are reading it correct, the .NET Framework! He detailed quite a few points on this platform, among them:
- the .NET Framework itself which is pretty much like the java API or C/C++ Library
- the C# language and its robustness in terms of speed and ease of use especially with Visual Studio software
- a feature presentation on silverlight
- sudo mount /dev/sda1/ mnt...(replace sda1 with your root partition number) ,and
- grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ dev/sdx...(replace the x in sdx with your partition alphabet)
On a separate issue, the frequency of meetings has been unilaterally changed from twice weekly to once every week, same time same place. See you then and tag a friend along!